Music for Worshipping at Home
Palm Sunday and Holy Week, 2020
Here are links to many of the works and hymns we often hear during Holy Week
- Prelude: Dupré, Ave Maris Stella
- Hymn: All Glory, Laud and Honor
- All glory, laud and honor to thee, Redeemer King. From whom the lips of children made sweet hosannas ring.
- Anthem: Ride On, King Jesus (Gospel choir setting)
- Ride on, King Jesus! No man can hinder me. Ride, King Jesus, ride to me. In that great getting up morning, fare thee well.
- Hymn: Ride on, Ride On in Majesty
- Ride on, ride on in majesty. In lowly pomp, ride on to die. Thine humble beast pursues his road, with palms and scattered garments strowed.
- Prelude: Adoro Te, Devote (chant in Latin)
- Thee we adore, hidden savior thee…O memorial of our Lord’s death, Living bread that gives life to us, grant my soul to live on thee and to savor your sweetness ever.
- Hymn: I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say
- I heard the voice of Jesus say “Come unto me and rest; lay down, O hearty one, lay down your head upon my breast.” I came to Jesus as I was, so weary, worn and sad; I found in him a resting place, and he has made me glad.
- Meditation: Abide With Me
- Anthem: Ave Verum, Gabriel Fauré
- Hail true body born of the virgin, who suffered and died on the cross, whose body was pierced for us, from which flowed blood and water. Be a foretaste for us in the test of death.
- Prelude: O Lamm Gottes (Bach)
- Hymn: Lamb of God Most Holy
- Anthem: Surely He Hath Borne Our Griefs (Handel)
- The Lamentations of Jeremiah (part of the liturgy for the service in darkness (Tenebrae)
The Vigil of Easter
- The Joyful Ringing of Bells
- Prelude: Music for the Royal Fireworks (Handel)
- Solo: I Know That My Redeemer Liveth (Handel)
- Solo: The Trumpet Shall Sound (Handel)
- Anthem: Hallelujah (Handel)
- Hymn: Jesus Christ is Risen Today
- Jesus Christ is risen today, Alleluia! Our triumphant holy day, Alleluia! Who did once upon the cross, Alleluia! Suffer to redeem our loss, Alleluia!
- Postlude: Westminster Carillon (Vierne)